Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Springtime Rhubarb Floats

DSC01016

Well, it's rhubarb season, and the last few days have been HOT. Quite frankly, I have no intention of turning on my oven, at all. It seems I am also not up for my usual babbling banter. The way I see it, the quicker I make the floats and take the photo, the quicker I get to sit on the back deck and enjoy a little bit of Spring, even if it's only in a glass.

I will sample these at the Market this weekend!

Springtime Rhubarb Floats

4 Cups Rhubarb, cleaned and chopped
2-3 cups sugar
1/2 water

Local, Glacier Homemade Ice Cream or Gelato: Vanilla, strawberry, or lemon
Club Soda

Place Rhubarb, sugar and water in a 4 quart stock pot w/ a lid, over medium high heat. Cook mixture for 15 minutes or until the Rhubarb begins to break down. Taste mixture and adjust with more sugar if it is still too tart or add a squeeze of lemon, if mixture is too sweet. Strain the solids from the syrup. ( I keep the Rhubarb pulp and put it on french toast, or add it to strawberry pies). If you want a thicker syrup, place the liquid back on the heat and reduce for 5 more minutes.

To serve: Pour a few tablespoons of Rhubarb syrup in the bottom of your cold glass then add a nice big scoop of Glacier Vanilla Gelato, then Club Soda, and then additional Rhubarb syrup. Enjoy!

** After MANY taste tests, it seems the house "Cheflettes" think this makes a really nice sparkling drink: Rhubarb Syrup, Cold Sparkling Water, and tons of ice.
** If you have any left, it is also great on French Toast

See you at the Market!

Chef Deb
DSC01018

No comments: